Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 9- May 21, 2013

This morning we had culture and language class.  In culture class we learned that Northern Vietnam eats dogs.  All I could think about is my dog, Chester, and how I could never even think about eating him.  Some of the foods here I would never even think to eat, like ostrich, but dog just takes it to a whole new level.  I think of dogs as pets, not food.  After lunch we visited Navibank.  The whole presentation was in Vietnamese and one of the UEF students translated it into English for us as.  It was different listening to a whole presentation in only Vietnamese, but it was interesting seeing how fast a student could translate it.  That would be very hard to do.  I learned that a lot of Vietnamese do not trust banks so they keep their money at home and refuse to use savings accounts.  I can't imagine keeping all my money in a safe at home where it's so easily accessible.  I also noticed that there were only women working at Navibank.  There were three women that were a part of the presentation and then there were only women workings as tellers when we first walked in.  Most of the companies we have visited have been made up of mostly men, so it was different seeing only women.  After the bank some of us went to the post office to get some souvenir shopping done.  There was a lot of cool jewelry and handcrafted things for your house.  I bought a lot of stuff for my friends and family there.  Tonight we're going to go out to dinner and figure the rest from there.  We don't have to meet tomorrow until 9:30, so I get to sleep in!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment